Saturday, May 30, 2009

Measuring windspeed and wind direction with La Crosse WS2350

My weatherstation has been up and running now for a few months recording wind data. Main reason for purchasing La Crosse WS 2350 was to test windspeed in my area to see if this is suitable place for setting up wind generator.

Wind direction on top of my appartment is quite uniform, except east winds are bit rare. This can be explained by anemometer being loccated in eastside of rectangular building and if winds blows from east then it hits wall and tends to rise higher, thus blowing over the sensor.









What interest me most is winspeed. Most small wind generators start to spin with windspeeds around 2-3 m/s and give reasonable output with 5-6m/s. As measurements show average windspeed for me is 2,82m/s which is unfortunately too low for big investment into wind generator.

Sure enough i still intend to get myself wind turbine. Its pointless to get one for generationg huge amounts of electricity but in this location could be used some cheapest and smallest generator just for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment